gifts of stock

How It Works

You transfer stocks, bonds, and mutual fund shares that you have owned for more than one year to College Bound. We then sell your securities and use the funds for programming.


You receive an income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities as of the transfer. You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer upon sale of the stock. The “cost” of your gift is often less than the deduction you gain by making it.


Cash gifts and gifts of appreciated securities of equal amounts generate the same charitable deduction. However, if you give publicly traded stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares that you have held for one year or longer, you can transfer to College Bound without recognizing capital gains on the appreciation. Therefore, you can leverage a larger donation than you could make with cash and receive a larger tax benefit.

Additional Information

If you would like more information about transferring appreciated securities or have questions about how to best approach a gift of stock, please contact Michelle Caldeira, Senior Vice President, at 617.506.5947.